Saturday, March 8, 2014

Meatball stuffed spaghetti squash (low carb)

In an effort to lose the 10 pounds I have gained since November, I am returning to the Atkins diet with my husband. I must cook meals...even though I hate it. 

Last week, I shared several recipes I tried that were pretty tasty and today I will share another one. Today was the first time in my life that I have ever eaten spaghetti squash, and I must say, it was pretty good. 

Here's how I made it:

Poke a few holes in a nice spaghetti squash and microwave it for about 3 minutes on each side. This will make it easier to slice in half. 

Slice it in half, lengthwise, spoon out the seeds, and coat the remainder with a nice layer of olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for about an hour at 400 degrees. 

When cool, rake the insides with a fork to create "noodles".

Add 4 or 5 meatballs to the inside and top with spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella cheese. I used an Atkins recipe to make the meatballs ahead of time. Broil on high for about 5 minutes and voila! 

It was pretty good. Next time I would add more sauce...a lower carb sauce and I would maybe add some different seasonings to the meatballs. All in all, not a bad alternative to traditional spaghetti and meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment