Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thanks for the Christmas flu, Santa

While I was actually dreading having 8 family Christmases this year, staying home with 2 children with the flu and bronchitis, not to mention getting it myself....was not the way I was hoping to get out of going. 


I wish I could say that my kids got to go to all of their families, opened presents, and shared in the holiday with loved ones...instead we hugged the toilets, feasted on crackers and Sprite, and slept through most of the week. 

Jansen started feeling very bad on Christmas Eve and then it just snowballed. We are now on day 6 for him with fever. On Thursday night, I couldn't take it anymore and I took them both to our Urgent Care. God bless them! We were in and out in less than 30 minutes....the only patients there!!! After diagnosing both of the boys with the flu and bronchitis, the doctor turns to me and says, "I would like to take your vitals as well." Sure enough, I had a higher fever than the boys. Tamiflu and antibiotics for the whole family!

So my children have been out of school for over a week, and have spent the whole time sick. I really wanted to bake with them, take them looking at Christmas lights, and just spend time with our family, but instead we all spent a ton of quality time together in my bed. Thank goodness my husband has been working so much because he didn't get the flu (and thank you to the urgent care doctor who gave him the Tamiflu to prevent him from getting it!) Each one of us sounds like we might cough up a lung at any moment!

What a bah humbug Christmas...although we are blessed immensely. I am so glad that my boys got sick over a holiday instead of during the school year. Missing a week of school would have been so difficult to recover from!

Now that we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I am hoping to spend next week out and about town with the kiddos, enjoying the beginning of the year! We welcome 2013 with hopefully flu free open arms!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. The same thing has been happening here. We have had a sick person in the house since the 18th. Fevers, pneumonia, stomach virus. You name it. I know we are blessed, but it's hard to find the positive when everyone is sick. Hoping you are all better soon!

    ReplyDelete