Monday, January 30, 2012

One small victory at the store...

This morning's trip to Kroger proved to be a big one. A happy one. A great day for all!

Who am I kidding? All? It was just me at the store....but I digress.

Behold....the back of my car, with no more space for extra groceries!

Today, I menu planned for February, cut out about 25 coupons, grabbed the Kroger circular and headed out for another dreaded grocery trip. As I sat in my car, I said a little prayer just to say thank you for the blessing of being able to have groceries for my family and another quick one for sale success.

For a family of four, we usually spend somewhere around $300 a month for groceries. We try to only go out to eat once a week and with three guys in this house...food is huge. Knowing that I can do even better than that, but not really wanting to become an extreme couponer, I clip what I want and do a little matching. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Today it worked out. (****Now I am in no way where I would like to be with this, but I am celebrating every victory, no matter how big or small****)

What did I do? The lazy girl's version of couponing.
  1. I printed out my coupons from Coupon Surfer
  2. I circled the items I needed from the Kroger ad
  3. I shopped for the items that were on sale....The Mega Mix and Match sale at Kroger
  4. I combined my Kroger card first, with my Mix and Match sale items, with my printed coupons
  5. I walked out happy!

Today's shopping trip should have cost me almost $300, but I walked out paying $162.12. This is not stockpiling. This is not 40 tubes of toothpaste, 16 spaghetti sauces, and 24 bottles of gatorade. This is ground beef, chicken, cereal, shampoo, Kid Essentials, fruits, veggies, toiletries, Lunch-ables, yogurt, milk, eggs, butter, hot dogs, sodas, peanut butter, laundry detergent, toilet paper, bread, snacks, Smart Ones meals ( for me, you know, the girl on the go), etc. This is a month's worth of food for us...breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
That is February's total for groceries. WOO-Flipping-HOO!! That is a personal best for me. My refrigerator and freezer inside the house is full, and the freezer in the garage is full, as well as my pantry.

Blessings....


No comments:

Post a Comment