Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Caleb's birthday cake prep...

Now we are 5 days away from the party and we have pretty much everything ready.
Sunday morning I am going to go blow up a few balloons to take with us, so that is a last minute thing.

Three out of the eight kids invited have RSVP'd. What happened to that anyway? Do people not care about taking the time to send a quick email or phone call? I always RSVP to parties because you need to have a head count. Either way, it doesn't matter....I am making the cake, we have goodie bags, the site is paid for, and we are bowling regardless of who comes.

I wanted to make some fondant accessories for Caleb's cake this year. As you might recall last year, I made him a fondant Bowzer cake. This was my first time to ever use fondant, and I practiced and practiced and just couldn't get it right. So I store-bought all the colors and it was super expensive. Since then, I figured out how to do it, and this batch was absolutely perfect marhsmallow-y goodness. It tasted good, was easy to work with, and was easy to color.

Caleb wants a regular yellow cake with blue buttercream icing. I can make that in my sleep. So there will just be a few fondant bowling balls and pins on the cake. Knowing that it takes a while for fondant to dry, I had to make these early...and they turned out really cute.

Here are the bowling balls and pins....please excuse the picture taken with my phone at 11:30pm. I can't be the only person up late hours doing stuff like this right?!

Anyway, Thursday night after Bunco, I will be making his class 1 up mushroom cupcakes, and then all day Friday I will be baking and stacking and decorating his cake. I want to have it finished by Friday night so all day Saturday we can have fun and Sunday we can party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment