Monday, January 24, 2011

Student desk revamp...

Ok, so my project for the week turned out great. I am really happy about how it turned out.

J is 5, and needed a desk, so I had been on the lookout at garage sales, thrift stores, and on Craigslist for months. Why would I not just buy a brand new desk?
A. We are on a budget and B. He is a 5 year old boy...one who breaks things, spills things, and ruins things faster than the speed of light.

Remember last week when I found this little gem about 20 minutes away from my home for the low, low price of $25????

Two days later....this is what I came up with...

I think it looks good in his room. Eventually, I am thinking it needs a piece of glass cut for the top. But that will come later. Basically, I just sanded this bad boy down, gave a coat of brown paint that I had left over, put a top crackle coat on it, sealed it, drilled the holes for the drawer pulls, screwed in the pulls, and called it a day. I really like the super light crackle. It is very subtle but just gives it a little something extra.

$25 for the desk and $12 for the super cool drawer pulls. How cool are those??? I love that they are big (for little hands) and have that industrial look.

Thank goodness he finally has a space for all his coloring books, crayons, and art supplies :)


Now he just needs a little chair and he is ready to go!

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I've been contemplating doing a crackle paint on a dresser I have. It made me laugh though to see the picture of the bin with the Elmer's glue and scissors... because I have 3 boys who are 6, 7 and 9 and I wouldn't trust ANY of them to keep those things in their room and NOT ruin something! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I am in the process of redoing 2 desks for my kids (ages 4 & 5). Mine need a bit more love, sanding and glue before they will be ready to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the desk turned out cute. i bet your son loves it.

    ReplyDelete