Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 2...and going strong.

As day 2 comes to a close, I feel productive. Today, I worked the nursery at church, and hit a huge milestone as a parent. The doorbell rang...it was a child from down the street asking if the kids could play, and Caleb said yes. He ran to get his bike, Jansen got his three-wheeler, and they bolted out the door. I let them go, by themselves, three houses down. I stayed inside the house and would periodically go outside to throw away the trash and glance down the street. Jansen stayed out for an hour and Caleb came back after an hour and a half.

I must admit that I was a nervous wreck. Although I pride myself on not being one of those hovering parents, the sad truth is that this is the first year Caleb has been interested in playing with any other children while home. So this is new territory for me. It seems to be one of those oh-so-normal things that all kids do, but it seems so foreign for us. When I look back on my childhood, I was allowed to play outside, only on our street, but would often wander into the woods next to our house. Then when I got to be about Caleb's age, I would go the next street over to play with a girl that was 3 years older than me, and we would go all over the neighborhood. That scares me to death with Caleb. But I am letting go. I don't want to hold him back in any way, but I will sit at home and fret.

Anywhoooooo....I can now mark off #3 on my list, learning how to french braid. Now please take into consideration that I am an only child, I have two boys, and short hair. I have never had the opportunity to learn and learning on my own hair was difficult. No way that I could see what I was doing while keeping both hands free to braid. But IT IS DONE! These are pictures from the top of my head, as well as the back.


I can also mark off #1 on my list, working out on my elliptical for 30 minutes non-stop. Boy, am I out of shape so it was not easy at all. Now feeling invigorated, I hope to incorporate this into my routine 3-4 times a week. It would put me closer to marking off #6. :) Another day without soda. My eyeballs are floating in water!

On to day #3...what will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment